Thursday, August 21, 2008

Monday, August 18th 2008- 2:51 PM

I was waiting for a friend in New York City's Penn Station. I stood against the cement pole and watched as a minute fraction of the world passed me by. Hundreds of people; Millions of stories.

- Men and women in their business best all rushing to get to an important meeting.
- A Swedish family pass by with their flashy cameras.
- A young mother pushing her baby's stroller. She only pauses to pick up a her child's toy.
- Two teenage girls texting away on their cell phones.
- A young couple sharing a bag of popcorn.
- A pretty brunette in the flowing purple dress sweetly adding her guitar's flair to the flourescent lit station.
- A silver haired gentleman on his scooter wheelchair.
- A blonde eight year old sucking on his lollipop while following his grandfather.
- The bored and tired looking salesclerk selling tickets to rushing customers.
- The traveler with a duffle bag around his shoulder and a rolling luggage in his left hand, looking up at the time schedule board. His hand right hand is scratchign the back of his head and there is a confused expression on his face.
- A chic fashionista with 9 bags of newly purchased clothes and shoes.
- A long haired 16 year old bopping his head to his blaring iPod.
- The Yankee fan reading about star Olympian Michael Phelps in the newspaper.
- A cute dark-eyed European swaggering by. Yea, I see you too...

As I watched these people, I began to wonder. Where did they come from? What do they plan to do in their lives? What made them get up that morning? What are they hopes, dreams, and aspirations? Do they even have any? What are their passions? Likes? Dislikes? What are their beliefs? Who is the aspiring poet, dancer, artist, technician, docter or astronaut? Will I meet one of them in some other point and time still unknown?

I've never had a such a curiousty of the people around me. It was as though I'm thirsty for the knowledge or experiences they can expense. However, I don't envy them. I treasure every story that I've had and eagerly look forward to more with the family and friends that I love and cherish.But it would be intresting to know more about these characters and what brought them to same spot I did in New York City's Penn Station.

On Monday August 18th 2008 at 2:51 PM.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate those endless questions I bring upon myself. After all these questions, I turn the table around and start to begin from within.. who am I and what am I doing and where will I be going? Life and what it brings, an absolute mystery but to God almighty.

ajamr said...

when i ever have this feeling and start wondering, i remember or think that there is someone else sitting in an opposite place, thinking the exact same thing, about me and the people around both of us!!!