Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Autumn 2007

Autumn 2007...
The past 6 weeks went by in the flash. It's been pleasant, filled with many memories and learning experiences. I'm happy, al7amdulilah.

October

Protest against the Sochi 2014 Winter Games and the 450 Year Russo- Circassia Lie
On Oct. 4th, Circassains from all over the world held a protest against the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics and spread the truth of the 450 year anniversary of the Russo-Circassia lie. Sochi is an old Circassian city in the present day Krasnodar- Krai region of the Russian Federation. Currently it is considered as the jewel of the Russian country, where diplomats and the wealthy often vacation as a popular Black Sea resort and ski area in the breathtaking nearby Caucasus mountains. It is also the site for the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Unfortunately, this jewel has a dark history. Sochi and its surrounding became a mass killing and mass burial ground as the result of a Russian invasion and genocide which was part of 100 year war between the Russians and Circassians. In the times before the Russian invasion, Sochi and the surrounding area was occupied by the Circassian tribe, Ubykh. The Ubykh tribe was killed, and the few survivors were kicked out of their homeland.
**By having the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi is equivalent to hosting the games on a Holocaust concentration camp such Auschwitz.
Three protests were held around the world. One was held in Istanbul, Turkey, one in New York City, USA, and one in California. In NYC- A part of the protest was held in front of the Russian Consulate, and the other part was held in front of the United Nations.

Here are some photos of the protest that was held in New York City.
Here is a video of the protest that was held in New York City.
I felt so nationalistic as I participated in the protest. It feels so good to stand up and shout out what you believe in. I wouldn't trade this experience for the world. And even if no good comes out of it, some people listened to us and we got our message known.You got to fight for you right to have your own country.

Eid
I had the pleasure of celebrating Eid ul Fitr with my wonderful family. My grandmother, my baby cousin, and my uncles wife came to visit us for a very memorable 10 days. I miss them dearly.


Congratulations to Gupsa & Abdullah!
A good friend of mine, was married on Oct. 20th. I've known Gupsa for at least 8 years; we were both dancers in the Narts Dance Ensemble. I'm very happy for them, and their wedding was truly one of my favorites that I have ever been too. Adyghe Way Way!!

Congratulations Mom & Dad!
My parents celebrated their 21st wedding anniversary on Oct. 24th. May Allah continue to bless them and may He give them many more joyous years.

November

Georgian State Dance Ensemble
On Nov. 3rd I went to see the Georgian State Dance Ensemble perform at NJPAC in Newark, New Jersey. It was an interesting show. I had good second row seats, so the sword fight sequences were quite scary to watch, since I was wary that the sparks might hit me. The costumes were beautifully colored and the lighting was done very nicely. Compared to Circassian dancing... the male dancers, were a bit too soft, and the female dancers a bit too aggressive. I wasn't completely impressed with the dances and the music could have been better if the instruments were able to keep some of its individual character and sounds rather than hearing it constantly blended together. Overall, out of a rating of 1-10, with 10 being the best, I'd give it a 7.5 .


Professional Development
The week of November 4 was an interesting week, one that I certainly will never forget. On 11/6, I applied and interviewed for a manager trainee position at a growing cosmetic company. I was, of course, accepted, and I was told to that I start training on the coming Saturday 11/10. You can sure bet I was excited. The position offers excellent pay and benefits and a promise of opening and managing your own office. I was so excited to start something new in my life that I quit my position as a supervisor at my employer. I went to the training and learned what my duties would be and learned that to become manager I had to acquire pins. To acquire the first couple of pins, my task was to sell $1000 of cosmetics in an almost 'door to door selling' format. Which is nearly impossible, especially if a tube of lipstick is $25.

To say the least, for a girl who doesn't even wear a lot of makeup, and having to ask my family and friends if I can do a makeover on them and than have them buy a $40 makeup brush, is just absurd and as the saying goes... not exactly my cup of tea.
Lesson learned:

- Always know the facts and don't get too excited.
- Don't quit your current position until you are absolutely sure your new job is something that is the real deal.

... and Current Times.
Unfortunately I'm currently unemployed. My previous job was very generous to me by saying that I will always have a position with them. I had such good co workers and they genuinely cared about me and my future. But, I believe it is time to move on with my life and try new things. I filled out some employment applications and even scored an interview with an acting agency that is looking for part time 'extras' for TV and movies on Thursday. I will be restarting school in January, for the spring semester, so I am looking forward to that.
I'm young and I'm smart, so everything is going to be fine, especially if I have Allah and my parents on my side.


1 comment:

Maher said...

i have to say that i once went to a wedding where they did it the Adyghe way also. it was interesting and pleasant to watch.

Congratz to your parents :>