Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Identity Theft Is No Joke!!

Last night, I received an email from a dear friend of mine...

"Hello
How you doing? I made a trip to London (United Kingdom) unannounced some days back, but Unfortunately I got mugged at gun point last night! All cash, Credit card and phone were stolen, I got messed up in another country, stranded in London, fortunately passport was back in my hotel room. It was a bitter experience and i was hurt on my right hand, but would be fine. I want you to know this is really from em and not a spam or virus, I am sending you this message cos i don't want anyone to panic, I want you to keep it that way for now! My return flight leaves in a few hours but I’m having troubles sorting out the hotel bills, wondering if you could loan me some money to sort out the hotel bills and also take a cab to the airport about ($2,000). I have been to the police and embassy here, but they aren't helping issues, I have limited means of getting out of here, i canceled my cards already and made a police report, I won’t get a new card number till I get back home! So I really need your help.

You could wire whatever you can spare to my name and Location via Western union:

(Name removed for victim's protection)
272, Coriander Avenue, Docklands, E14 2AA ,
London United Kingdom

Get back to me with the western union details so I can have the money pickup here and make my way back to Home. I would def refund it to you once I arrive! Hopefully tomorrow

I await your prompt response."

My friend was a victim of online identity theft. She was never in London; her email was hacked into. A poser used her name and wanted money by making a appeal to her friends-- ones who would rescue the girl by sending over whatever she need.

This is the first time I've seen this type of scam and it can really bamboozle anyone. I even had my own bank account open in another window and I was ready to go to a Western Union to wire any amount I can spare. If it wasn't for a phone call, I would most likely be scammed a few hundred dollars.

So please, regularly change your passwords and safeguard your identity online, treat any request for money with suspicion, and always being cautious of who you give your personal information.

Moment of Zen:

5 comments:

XTR said...

Well said Dana... Scams are getting trickier and harder to detect.

I just can’t fathom why these people resort to dishonest ways of making a living, namely by stealing. What kind of a mindset do these people have? While I can understand that some of them may be going through hard times, this however is not an excuse for committing a crime, especially one that carries a stigma like that of robbery. If a person is in dire need of money, then he or she should go looking for an honest job rather than to go pathetically stealing from people.

When would these despicable people learn that thievery - no matter how small- is immoral and shameful?

Perhaps these unscrupulous swindlers have developed “advanced” methods to steal from their victims.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nart Pshegubj said...

I received the same email, are we talking here about the same friend (Tamara)? I even tried to email her back to warn her about this issue, however I got an email assuring me that this is for real (sure it did not sell for me).

Dana said...

XTR- Exactly... we just have to extra careful with our online identity!

Nart- Yea it was her. Her email was hacked into, so you would have gotten that message.

Unknown said...

Hey! The same thing just happened to my mom this morning. I googled some of the text from the email and found your blog online. I was just wondering if you knew what your friend did to rectify the situation. My mom doesn't know where to begin... Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!